Monday, August 18, 2008

The Colt Journal, ride 11: Fort Collins, Co.

My appologies to my Colorado relatives for not connecting on my visit, but we were on a mission of sorts and time didn't permit a trip to Denver.

Sorry, no pictures of this one.

Robin gave one of her ponies to a friend who recently moved from Jackson to Ft. Collins. I was glad to see him go (the pony, not the friends) because he was overly dominant and I hate having a horse like that around (if I haven't mentioned, my horses are living at Robin's for the remainder of the summer and were getting chased around and beat up by the little shit). Part of the deal was that Robin was going to deliver the pony, so I decided to make the road trip with her. The pony has some issues with traveling alone, so I had the brilliant idea of taking our horses along, camping out, and riding in one of the parks in the north Colorado area. For the most part, it went really, really well. It was great travel experience for Smooch, who it turns out is a great traveler. He was calm, ate well, took water (very important for horse traveling), and was a perfect horse the entire time.

But I was dissapointed that we never made it camping or to a park. We ended up staying with Robin's friend. Their neighborhood has a neat-o common horse facility that is open to the residents who pay a monthly fee to keep horses there. It's a nice facility located centrally in the neigborhood and had room for Rocky and Smooch to board for the night (Rocky is Robin's horse, you know who Smooch is). Supposedly there are trails throughout the nieghborhood, so we just decided to ride those for the afternoon. The "trails" amounted to a two track road that followed the levy on an irrigation canal. It wasn't the most exciting ride, but I was surprised with all of the agriculture in Ft. Collins. We road through several corn fields on our ride before turning around and riding back through the subdivision. Smooch had thrown a shoe at some point probably before we even left, so I bought a pair of those rubber "Simple Boots" at a local tack store. I'm not sure I like them, but they did the job and Smooch was more or less sound for the ride. I could tell the boot was a little bothersome, but good colt that he is he got over it.

Other than that, the ride was uneventful. We had a great time hanging out with the Coxhead family for the weekend. They are a very friendly and hospitable family. The kids fell in love with Bullwinkle, the pony, and to our surprise Bullwinkle settled in to his new home without too much complaining. The youngest girl, Sarah Grace, seemed to take a liking to Smooch. By the time we were leaving on Sunday, she wanted to lead Smooch around everywhere, brush him out, etc.

So mission accomplished, we headed home for another uneventful, albeit long and late ride home.

No comments: