Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Good, and The Bad

I guess I can't just go around only blogging about the good things. Yes, I got bucked off last Saturday and I feel compelled to admit it here, in this public forum. It's only the second time I've come unglued from a horse. The first was before I could ride bareback and just kind of slip off Amigo real slow like. I wish I could say that the only thing hurt was my pride, but it looks like I got a little case of whip lash. I already feel much better, so no permanent harm.

I took a friend out on horseback to go hunting in Wyoming and fill his two elk tags. I put Roger on Sara and I took Smooch. Unfortunately Smoochie wasn't feeling quite up to par after having been sedated at the vet the day before. It was a muddy mess and we didn't see one elk. On the way back we had decided to ride a certain ridge we had heard shooting coming from behind. It was a steep climb up and we ended up getting trapped between a fence and a box canyon. So we headed back down. At this point I need to say that I didn't have a comfortable ride all day. And if it wasn't comfortable to me, it probably wasn't comfortable for Smooch. The new backpack I bought worked fine on Sara's saddle a few weeks ago, but the cantle on Smooch's saddle is a little too high and it had a tendency to push on the back pack and push me forward. So we got going down this hill. The further we got, the more the saddle was pushing me forward. The more forward I got pushed, the faster Smooch went until he was running. And then the inevitable happened. I should have seen it coming. He gave one good buck, and the cantle heaved the bottom of the pack launching me right over Smooch's head. Lucky for me that gymnastics, Tang So Do and Judo have stayed with me enough that I know how to control myself in the air and land the best I can. I did a half summersault and landed flat on my back. The soft, wet grass and the backpack (one of those ones with a water bladder) took most of the impact. Luckily nothing was broken inside the pack and I was able to get up and ride out.

Next time, the backpack gets tied on the saddle with the rest of the gear!

My elk tag opens up today, so I'll be out after one myself this weekend. Wish me luck. With this storm pushing in, the hunting should be good.

3 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

Ouch! I'm glad you are feeling better, that sounds like quite a spill.

Robin said...

I'm glad the massage and heating pads helped :).

Katherine Plumer said...

Some of us still wonder what you are up to... :-)