Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ride 21: in back of Robin's house, in search of a mule

I guess we'll call this ride 21. It wasn't a long ride, but it was a ride and it was somewhat eventful. Woke up Saturday morning and Robin's horses had chased Sarah the mule out of the pasture. She was nowhere in sight, but our guess was that she was with the neighbors horses back at their corral because the electric fence was down in a spot.

So I caught Smooch, saddled him up, and it started raining. Put on the slicker and headed out to look for a mule. To get to their corral, the neighbor horses have to take a trail through the woods for a few hundred yards or so. So I headed down the trail. It's kind of cool back there. There is a stream crossing, and we even saw some mule deer.

Sure enough, there was Sara hanging out with a bunch of warm bloods and appendix QH's (some really big guys). Bonnie the neighbor had seen me ride up and walked out to see me. She said she noticed Sara half an hour ago, and that the big buckskin was trying to play with her. The others didn't mind her at all. So it didn't confound me that she didn't want to go back to where she was being bullied. I tried to herd her back, but she's too quick. Failing that, I caught her, haltered her, and drug her back.

Then I had to fix the electric fence she knocked down. Dang mule!

No comments: