Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shiloh The Dog

Shiloh Of Indian Creek - Dec. 1994 to Oct. 2008

He lived to be almost 14. He had epilepsy, arthritis and was deaf, but was otherwise healthy and enjoyed life right up to the end. The last few years he had become increasingly less mobile until this summer he could hardly stand by himself.

He was my dog until he went to live in retirement with my parents nearly six years ago. He never lived up to my dreams of becoming a field trial champion, but that's ok. He was the best hunting partner and companion a guy could hope for. He was always ready to go. He retrieved countless upland birds and waterfowl for me. He loved the swamp, he loved the woods, he loved the ocean, and he loved the desert.

For years he has kept my father company while he worked out of his home. He had been a faithful and eager companion for my mother on her walks until he could not go any more. He was the talk of the neighborhood kids. Everyone loved Shiloh and he would play fetch countless hours on end.

I know it was a hard decision for my parents to make, but they felt he was living too painful of a life. Shiloh was put to sleep on Saturday.

We will all miss him.

There are a lot of photos of Shiloh somewhere. Unfortunately I can't find the disks that hold the digital files. This is a scan of a photo copy of a photo from when he was around two or three years old.

This was taken by my father last winter.

As far as I know these photos from last week were the last ever taken of him.

He was as great dog!

3 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

I know how much Shiloh meant to you, I'm so sad to read that he is gone. :( Cherish the memories.

--

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really."

-Agnes Sligh Turnbull, The Flowering, 1972

Anonymous said...

What a nice post Bryan. I'm so sad about Shiloh. I had not seen Dad's pics yet. He really was a beautiful dog. We will all miss him...Beni too.

Jan Blawat said...

For all his health problems, the pictures reflect a dog that was well taken care of and appreciated.