Monday, July 14, 2008

The Colt Journal, Day 2

July 11, 2008

Smooch had a long break in the month of June. I was busy with visitors and mounted patrol. So he just got to be a colt. I had ponied him on a couple of rides and he seemed to just fall right in. The exception being on the ride I took him on during Katherine's visit when we rode through the fields in the back yard. Smooch decided he was on his own and just about dismounted me from Amigo. Fine. He got to follow us around and he ran, pranced, and generally had a great old time. Too bad there were no pictures. He really is a handsome colt.

I had done some ground work with him since the clinic. Not much, but he definitely remembered and on Thursday I had him saddled and sacked out for a bit.

The great thing about Smooch is his confidence and willingness to accept things. He has so far never complained about much. He is like an old hat at the saddle. He doesn't mind cars, dogs, tractors, etc. But, I figured that on our first ride by ourselves, I'd better take him to a controlled environment so we went to the Driggs arena. I put him through the entire ground school, saddled him up, hopped on and rode for about 45 minutes to an hour. Still frustrating with no reins. Very difficult getting him to go where I wanted, so I cheated and looped the lead rope around his neck and made a reins. Much better.

Having accomplished everything I set out to, I quit when another rider with a fresh horse showed up.

Quite a boring ride, really. But the little bugger did well.

No comments: