Monday, July 21, 2008

Sunday Trail Ride

Bald Eagle, can you see him? Wish I had a better camera for this kind of stuff. He really wasn't far away.

What started out as a great trail ride with a bald eagle posing for us turned into a nightmare.
I should know better. Time was misallocated, trails weren't marked, and mistakes were made.
Robin arrived late for a planned 15 mile ride consisting of a trail I'd never been on. I'm too tired to get into specifics, but that trail was as piece of crap, wasn't marked in amongst a network of dead end hunting trails and forest service roads, was completely impossible to navigate (even though I had three maps), and we got home at five in the morning. We didn't have proper emergency supplies to spend the night when we realized that the trail was getting the better of our navigation skills, so with a bright moon and all, and Robin had really been wanting a moonlit ride, and I at least knew the area and how to get out albeit a much, much longer route than planned, we decided to go for it. I can't say enough for our mounts. I was on Pretty Sara who trucked on even though she was exhausted. Robins horse, Rocky, was in better shape and did great. I'd say we maybe turned a 15 mile ride into 25 or more miles, plus the time we spent either lost, walking the stock, or letting them snatch a rest and a bite of grass.
Lessons learned.
I'll be back soon to master that trail so I don't get into this situation come hunting season!

3 comments:

Katherine Plumer said...

Dang, that's worse than my "stupidity on the road" ride. Glad you made it out safely!

Anonymous said...

Getting lost is my favorite kind of trail ride. Sometimes makes the other riders grumpy, though. Sounds like a great time to me, gives a person a lot to talk about. JJ

emilyjarkins said...

Good thing that didn't happen when mom was there! Glad everything is ok!