Monday, July 21, 2008

The Colt Journal, Day 5: Grassy Plains

Confidence building. That's what it is all about. So that's where I picked up on Saturday. The plan was to take a nice stroll behind the house in the grass fields. Open rolling hills provide a good avenue for working a green horse. There are no roads or trails, so it makes him use his young noodle. There are no trees or obstacles or scary things, so you can concentrate on building that "go button". You can stay on top of the hills so the horse always knows where he's at if he needs to, or you can work him down into the gullies to get him thinking. You gain momentum as the horse gains confidence in leaving the heard back at the house and he learns that a big field is a big, blank canvas.
Things started rough when Smooch decided to have a bucking fit while I was warming him up. I was circling him next to the trailer when he went to bucking. I didn't use what I was taught. Instead I lost his lead rope and he ran over to the neighbors. So I went and collected him, had a nice little chat with the Hills, and then gave it another shot...this time in the corral. Second time went better. I guess he got whatever was on his mind out of his system. Just in case, I grabbed the helmet, got on, and headed out back. He actually wasn't hesitant at all about his first solo ride. A quarter mile away he wanted to break into a trot. It tells me he is maybe lacking a little self confidence, but in any case provided a good avenue to work on some speed control. We didn't go far. Maybe stayed out 45 minutes or so. I even got him into a little canter just to see what that would be like. It's good to know he won't be a lazy horse. With confidence up, and speed control in the works, I decided it was time for some road work on the way back. So we circled back to the highway and rode in the ditch back home. Only one truck came by, and it was loaded with hay. Smooch didn't pay it any attention so I kept going to the neighbors. A few more cars and trucks went by without incident. He was more concerned with the real estate signs and other things in his direct path than the traffic. Normally I would want to work up to traffic with a strong, experienced horse leading the way, but this colt is handling things so well that I decided to push it a bit. We crossed the highway, which he didn't like too much, and headed back home down the other side of the road.
I think maybe this week is more arena work. Time to work on him better understanding body language and cues.

No comments: